Saturday, January 31, 2009

FREE pies~

Last night I was sitting in my cozy house, wearing my cozy sock monkey slippers and waiting for 9 pm so I could go to bed... when the unimaginable happened. I got a text.. FREE PIES! Free pies? Oh yeah, I was on it then!~ I threw on flip flops (note to self when it is 40 outside you might want to take the time to put real shoes on) and raced out the door. I knew the approximate location of the store and called the person who texted me (NOT TAMMYF~still mad at you for not telling me) andgot details what the 'deal' was. YOU know there is nothing ever free in this world. Well it is..or was~ I got to the location and received a case of free pies. What this place is a place for the homeless and it seems that companies (grocery store, pharmacies, etc) must sell their opened and crushed items to somewhere and this is one of the places it ends up. They are selling items that are opened or in boxes that are unsaleable. Anyway they had been given pies and a LARGE amount of them when they had no freezer to store them in so they gave them away...for free.. NO STRINGS attached. While I saw people grabbing up the boxes of crushed colgate and open boxes of cascade like there was no tomorrow I also saw where I would have gotten 'that' for free, or less than .50.. and while it is a good deal to most consumers I saw it as expensive... I however did buy a 24 pack of zepherylis for 2 bucks~! I gotta support people who give away free pies! I met the owner and got the speal on what they do...It is a nice way to help her help others (they will have a foodline for the homeless and will help the elderly with their power bills, eventually). They have only been open for 3 days.. what a nice thing to do. Anyway... back to the free pies. When you get a case there were literally got 6 unbaked Sara Lee pies.. apple cranberry and apple/ruhbarb/berrie pies.. somehow I ended up with 2 cases of the ruhbarb and one of the cranberry.. I split some with a few friends and then I brought the rest home. MY freezer (small one) is full of pies and even my upper freezer on the refrig is full! Too many pies....hehehehehe... I even had to bake two of them last night because they wouldn't fit into my freezer. I am sitting here with a small piece of each of the pies and all I can say is YUMMY! I figure pie isn't anything but a fruit filled poptart right? Nothing wrong with pie for breakfast at 5 am.. come on now.. As my groggy son just stumbled into the room and said 'can I have pie for breakfast too?' (does the boy have a nose detecting gene or what)... oh what am I teaching my kids? hehehehe... Of course you CAN son, here have another piece...So it was a good way to end a good day... yummy pies anyone?

No comments: